UPS Plugin

More
2 years 6 months ago #98 by Gary
Gary created the topic: UPS Plugin
Using the UPS plugin. It works well for our use, EXCEPT there are some errors displayed when they should not be.

1. There is an error when the cart is empty that says there is no weight. That is ok if the cart has product and weight is missing, but if cart is empty of course there will be no weight. It confuses the user.

2. If the user is guest and has no registration, the cart will have no shipping details, so the error there is not useful as the user must first create their shipping/billing address first or login. This error should not come up until the user tries to confirm order. It is annoying to user and confusing. These should be simple changes. If you tell me what to change and where I can do it myself. Otherwise can you make the changes and send new version?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #99 by Gary
UPS Plugin
Is no one here able to assist with this issue? I realize this is a free plugin, but when it is not working properly or has errors, I would expect that it would be in the developers best interest to at least offer some kind of response that might help me make the necessary code changes to get rid of the problems.

More
2 years 5 months ago #100 by Jibon Costa
UPS Plugin
Sorry Gary, the plugin will check exception when you are at cart page. So you can prevent users' to go cart page with empty cart. This plugin is available in Github so if you want to give a pull request, I will be appreciate :)

More
2 years 5 months ago #101 by Gary
UPS Plugin
The problem occurs when the User might empty the cart. VM3 does NOT close the cart and return to any other page, like "continue shopping". So now the user sees an empty cart but the UPS ERROR: messages about invalid rate, weights cannot be zero, etc. I found where I can correct or block some of those errors in the plugin that are not useful, but the ones giving trouble seem to be coming from the UPS API. You have not provided a way to account for those, but instead just post them, no matter what they are. I can comment out that entire routine, but that defeats the purpose in reporting valid errors.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #102 by Jibon Costa
UPS Plugin
Gary,

Check this method: github.com/jibon57/vm_shipment_jibon_ups...r/jibon_ups.php#L641

public function getUPSresponse($cart, $method)

In this line: github.com/jibon57/vm_shipment_jibon_ups...r/jibon_ups.php#L652
It's checking for weight. So here you can check if the cart is empty or not. You have $cart object. I think this will resolve your problem :)
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Jibon Costa. Reason: typo

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #103 by Gary
UPS Plugin
No. That area is part of the problem. I have already totally commented out lines 652 thru 659 and it has not affected anyone, That message was probably the biggest issue. The error message came up all the time and was very annoying to users. When the cart is empty, of course there will be no product weights. We have to have product weights for the plugin to be of any use. When there is product in the cart, the message is not needed.
The errors that are the most problem are from lines 724 thru 733. This appears to be where you get the responses back from the UPS API. All you do with this is state there is some kind of error and display to "check shipping details". It does nothing to help the user understand the problem or how to correct it, nor does it state exactly what the error is. If you would break these API responses down, maybe with if/then statements and corrective actions for each case, it would help to know what needs to happen when they occur.
While I appreciate the plugin is free and it does do basically what is needed, it pops up a lot of error messages without presenting any information about them or what to do to correct it. For example: If the user is logged in but deletes all items from the cart, the message about shipping details them pops up because there is no weight to calculate nor is the service for what that zero weight is available. Yet the users sees an error message and spends time trying to figure out what they did wrong rather than spending time shopping! after too much time trying to figure out what they did and not knowing how to fix it, they get frustrated and leave the site. Not good for business!
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Gary. Reason: typo

More
1 year 11 months ago #109 by webwzrd
UPS Plugin
I've been using the paid ISTRAXX UPS plugin, but it suddenly quite working perhaps from a recent VM update, not sure, but when I reached out to the developer and also submitted a support ticket on the VM site, I was given one suggestion that didn't work and left on my own.

I discovered this plugin and gave it a try, happy to say it works great. I dealt will the error messages referred to in this thread by changing them to something more helpful and appropriate for the site.

Great work, thank you so much for making this plugin available!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jibon Costa

More
1 year 11 months ago #110 by Jibon Costa
UPS Plugin
webwzrd, thanks for your feedback. This plugin had been released under open source license & source code can be found in Github. You can fork the ripo or can state the changes you made here. Someone else may find this helpful too :)

More
1 year 11 months ago #111 by webwzrd
UPS Plugin
In the site I'm using the UPS plugin, the error line that was the most confusing for not yet registered or not logged in users was when an item was placed in the shopping cart an error appeared at the top of the page stating: "UPS Error: Please put valid shipping information !!".

I simply changed line 685 of /plugins/vmshipment/jibon_ups/jibon_ups.php from the above to "Shipping Alert: Please login or enter shipping address for delivery options when ready to check out." Naturally that line should be customized to whatever message best fits the store. In my case USP isn't the only shipping option available so it made the default error message especially confusing.

Hope this may help someone else and thanks again for the wonderful contribution of this plugin. Many orders have been made and it's working great.